True vCloud Backup
Simple. Reliable. Self-Service.
Acronis Backup & Recovery® for vCloud®
Running VMware vCloud? Give your tenants a self-service backup they are looking for.
- Backup Allow tenants to back up and recover their virtual machines by themselves though a simple web-based user interface.
- DR to Cloud Provide tenants with a cloud disaster recovery site where they can run copies of their o-premise machines, physical or virtual, in a case of disaster.
- Migration Help tenants migrate their existing physical or virtual machines to the cloud, between clouds, and back to the original location to help address lock-in concerns.
Although the tenant relies on your datacenter hardware, he will also have operating systems and applications, which are statistically much more likely to be a cause of problems. Installing bad updates, performing erroneous configuration changes, deleting important files, running wrong scripts are all sources of errors. Let’s face it humans are proven to make mistakes.
With Acronis Backup & Recovery® for vCloud®, tenants can easily revert virtual machine back to a known good state in minutes. On their own, no software to install, no phone calls to make, no confusing manual procedures to follow.
How It Works
Acronis Backup & Recovery® for vCloud® is designed for public, private, and hybrid clouds built on VMware® vCloud Director®. It is installed and configured by a vCloud provider and enables the tenants to perform backup, disaster recovery and migration though a simple and intuitive web-based interface.
via web interface
Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud works with the VMware vCloud Director to authenticate users and display their vApps and virtual machines exactly as they are used to seeing them. Using a very simple web interface, tenants can schedule backups or start recoveries of their virtual machines. Tenants will only see virtual machines and backups they own.
In a nutshell, Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud uses VMware API for Data Protection (VADP) to perform agent-less image-based backup and recovery of virtual machine disks - the same fast and proven technology as used by award-winning Acronis vmProtect and Acronis Backup & Recovery Agent for VMware vSphere.
In addition to this, Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud also uses the vCloud Director REST API to backup virtual machine settings and configuration data. This ensures that after a restore is completed, the virtual machines appear in vCloud automatically, exactly matching what had been present at the same time the backup was taken.
Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud is built for compatibility. It uses Acronis Unified Backup Format, also used by other Acronis products. This allows unlimited any-to-any migration, including the ability to move physical or virtual machines from on-premise locations to vCloud, from vCloud to on-premise locations, and even between clouds.
- Self-service management for tenants and vCloud Administrators
- Full integration with vCloud Director using the VCD REST API to preserve all VM configuration settings.
- Enable or disable backup functions for individual VCD organizations
- Per-tenant reports to allow flexible billing. The reports include:
- Number of backed up virtual machines
- Total size of backed up virtual machines
- Total RAM/CPU of backed up virtual machines
- Total backup size
- A simple web interface requiring no client side deployment.
- Full compatibility with other Acronis products by using the Unified Backup Format
- Per-tenant quotas
- A JSON API for integration with 3rd party services, applications and platforms
- Easy re-branding by changing a CSS style sheet
- Military-grade encryption for backups and transport
VMware vCloud Director v1.5, 5.0, and 5.1
Backed up virtual machines:
- Any guest operating system supported by VMware vSphere
- ReFS, NTFS, FAT16/32, Ext2/3/4, ReiserFS3, JFS
- Any other file system in sector-by-sector mode
Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud can be installed on:
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2003 / 2003 R2
- Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
- Locally attached storage (IDE, P-ATA, S-ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, FC)
- NAS (SMB)
- Google Chrome™ 12 or later
- Mozilla® Firefox 12 or later
- Windows Internet Explorer 8 or later
- Safari 5 or later running in the Mac OS X operating system
- Web Help
- Quick Start Guide (1.5 MB, PDF)
- Administrator's Guide (1.4 MB, PDF)
- User Guide (0.8 MB, PDF)
- Data Sheet (0.1 MB, PDF)
Evaluate or Buy
Depending on your requirements, Acronis Backup & Recovery for vCloud may be licensed per physical host or per size of backed up virtual machines.
$2,699.00 / host
- Perpetual license
- 1 year of premier support
- Every physical host in a vCloud need to have a license
- Recommended when all VMs are backed up
$299.00 / TB-month
- Pay-as-you-go billed periodically
- Only pay VMs you are backing up
- Includes premier support
- Recommended when not all VMs need backing up
* Volume discounts apply. Check with Acronis sales if an options is available for you.