The IT environments grow at a faster pace than the companies they serve. A decade ago, a company with 30 employees would have had half a dozen servers, a couple of dozens of PCs, and that’s it. Nowadays, there may be:
- Few old physical servers still housing important data and applications
- Virtual hosts, holding couple dozen virtual machines (VMs), with different applications, and even different hypervisors
- 35+ PCs and laptops — including some Macs
- 20-30 VMs in the cloud – in Microsoft Azure, Amazon EC2, Google, or other IaaS cloud
- Applications and data in the cloud – most probably Microsoft Office 365
- Few dozen corporate mobile devices – tablets, phones
All of these devices contain important company data, and need to be backed up – and your existing backup solution may not be able to support all of these, or easily scale along with your hybrid IT evolution. What should you do?