Acronis World Backup Day Survey Results
Acronis, a global leader in hybrid cloud data protection and storage, recently completed a consumer backup survey in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Germany, France, and Japan. The results were revealing, beginning with the finding that most users are completely unaware of the threat posed by ransomware attacks, much less how to prepare for them.
General survey findings:
- 34.3 percent of respondents said that they, or their family members, have experienced data loss;
- 26.9 percent of respondents acknowledged they don’t perform any type of data backup;
- Those who perform regular backups said that security, ease of use, and storage capacity are the most important features in a backup solution;
Ransomware awareness findings:
- 62.2 percent of respondents said they have never heard of ransomware;
- 67.2 percent placed great importance on their personal information, documents, pictures, videos, and music;
- 5.8 percent are prepared to pay more than $500 to recover lost data.
Commenting the results, John Zanni, CMO of Acronis, said: “This survey exposed a serious disparity between the value assigned to respondent data and what is actually being done to protect that data. Backup still remains the most effective vaccine against data loss. Creating a backup before disaster strikes is much more efficient and cost effective than looking for a cure when your data is lost. Affordable backup software is readily available, so there is no excuse for losing your data or exposing it to cyber criminals and ransomware attacks.”
The survey was conducted using Google Surveys on March 6-7, 2017.
1. How many devices do you have in your household?
2. Have you or a family member ever lost data or a computer/mobile device?
3. What do you fear losing the most?
4. How do you currently back up your personal files?
5. What feature is the most important to you when it comes to backing up data?
6. Have you heard of ransomware and do you think it’s going to affect you or your family?
7. How much money would you be willing to pay to get your files back, either from ransomware or data loss?
8. How important is the data in your Facebook account to you? Will you care if your data is lost?
Acronis World Backup Day Survey Infographic