How It Works
Acronis Backup Advanced for vCloud is designed for public, private, and hybrid clouds built on VMware vCloud Director. It is installed and configured by a vCloud provider and enables the tenants to perform backup, disaster recovery and migration through a simple and intuitive web-based interface.
Acronis Backup Advanced for vCloud works with the VMware vCloud Director to authenticate users and display their vApps and virtual machines exactly as they are used to seeing them. Using a very simple web interface, tenants can schedule backups or start recoveries of their virtual machines. Tenants will only see virtual machines and backups they own.
- In a nutshell, Acronis Backup Advanced for vCloud uses VMware API for Data Protection (VADP) to perform agent-less image-based backup and recovery of virtual machine disks – the same fast and proven technology as used by award-winning Acronis Backup for VMware and Acronis Advanced Agent for VMware vSphere.
- In addition to this, Acronis Backup Advanced for vCloud also uses the vCloud Director REST API to backup virtual machine settings and configuration data. This ensures that after a restore is completed, the virtual machines appear in vCloud automatically, exactly matching what had been present at the same time the backup was taken.
- Acronis Backup Advanced for vCloud is built for compatibility. It uses Acronis Unified Backup Format, also used by other Acronis products. This allows unlimited any-to-any migration, including the ability to move physical or virtual machines from on-premise locations to vCloud, from vCloud to on-premise locations, and even between clouds.
- Self-service management for tenants and vCloud Administrators.
- Full compatibility with other Acronis products by using the Unified Backup Format.
- A JSON API for integration with 3rd party services, applications and platforms.
- Enable or disable backup functions for individual VCD organizations.
- A simple web interface requiring no client side deployment.
- Easy re-branding by changing a CSS style sheet.
- Full integration with vCloud Director using the VCD REST API to preserve all VM configuration settings.
- Per-tenant reports to allow flexible billing. The reports include: number of backed up virtual machines, total size of backed up virtual machines, total RAM/CPU of backed up virtual machines, total backup size.
- Military-grade encryption for backups and transport.
- Per-tenant quotas.
Backed up virtual machines
- Any guest operating system supported by VMware vSphere
- ReFS, NTFS, FAT16/32, Ext2/3/4, ReiserFS3, JFS
- Any other file system in sector-by-sector mode
Can be installed on
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2003 / 2003 R2
- Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
- Locally attached storage (IDE, P-ATA, S-ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, FC)
- NAS (SMB)
- Google Chrome Firefox 12 or later
- Windows Internet Explorer 8 or later
- Safari 5 or later running in the Mac OS X operating system
Evaluate or Buy
Pay per host
- Perpetual license
- 1 year of premier support
- Every physical host in a vCloud need to have a license
- Recommended when all VMs are backed up
Pay per month
- Pay-as-you-go billed periodically
- Only pay VMs you are backing up
- Includes premier support
- Recommended when not all VMs need backing up
Volume discounts apply. Check with Acronis sales if an options is available for you.