The importance of secure online shopping
Online shopping is one of the newest and most convenient ways to buy products. You can shop from the comfort of your home, browse various products, and compare prices from different retailers. However, online shopping can also be a risky proposition. If you're not careful, you could get scammed or have your personal information stolen.
This blog post will discuss the risks of online shopping and how you can protect yourself from them. We'll cover topics such as choosing a reputable retailer, using a secure payment method, and keeping your personal information safe. We'll also provide tips on how to spot and avoid online scams.
As technology advances, so do the risks of scams and cybercrimes. Protecting yourself from potential online threats is essential with the holiday season approaching. Last year, the FBI reported that $10.3 billion was lost to digital crime.
Ten essential tips for safe online shopping
To ensure complete protection on all your online devices, use Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office. This powerful tool combines secure backup, AI-based security, and Identity Protection*, providing peace of mind this shopping season. And because we are here to help you, we have created a list with ten essential tips for safe shopping online.
As you navigate the Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals, you must stay vigilant and prioritize your online safety. Here are some essential tips to keep in mind:
• Double check the seller’s URL and only visit secure and trusted websites. Secure websites show a lock before the URL in your browser, as SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption is installed. Whenever this is the case, the beginning of the website address starts with HTTPS.
• Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication. Click here for more tips and tricks on that.
• Safeguard your personal information by using Identity Protection* as thieves are out there to steal whatever they can, so keep your personal information safe.
• Avoid phishing emails falsely claiming to be from popular retailers like Amazon, Walmart or Costco. Verify their authenticity before clicking on any links. There is an influx of scams during the shopping season.
• Exercise caution with unexpected emails from old friends that contain links and attachments, as they can lead to something different.
• Ensure you have active and up-to-date protection to keep cybercriminals out to protect your data, photos and home office.
• Utilize secure online payment services like PayPal, Stripe or credit cards that offer additional protection.
• Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks to prevent unauthorized access to your sensitive information. Make sure you have a solid Wi-Fi connection that is private and protected.
• Check the shipping terms of the specific company. Some merchants charge exorbitantly high shipping fees, turning a shopping bargain into an expensive mistake. Check if they provide tracking and insurance. Understand their carriers and be cautious if the item won’t be shipped within two weeks.
• Never give more information than needed. Only fill in the required information that is necessary. If a second email is optional, make sure to skip that field. The more information you give, the more accessible you are to one of those bad guys.
Yes, most online shops go to great lengths to protect their customers’ data, but cybercriminals are looking to steal it. Therefore, online shoppers must be vigilant to protect their data. While keeping an eye out for fake offers, as some deals can look too good to be true during this shopping season and web pages are an excellent first step, cybercriminals design them to look like the real deal, making it extremely difficult to recognize them. So, ensure you get complete protection on all your online devices. Use Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, providing you with peace of mind this shopping season.
Enjoy a safe shopping experience!
* Only available in the U.S. for Advanced and Premium subscriptions.
Shop with Confidence! Click to Secure Your Online Shopping Now
Acronis is a Swiss company, founded in Singapore. Celebrating two decades of innovation, Acronis has more than 1,800 employees in 45 locations. The Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud solution is available in 26 languages in over 150 countries and is used by 20,000 service providers to protect over 750,000 businesses.